Sunday, November 05, 2006,8:29 AM
Chilhood Crush Gone Forever
'Doogie Howser' star comes out -- with pride


Neil Patrick Harris, who starred in "Doogie Howser, M.D.," wants to dispel any rumors that he is straight.
LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Neil Patrick Harris is gay and wants to quell any rumors to the contrary.

"(I) am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest," Harris tells People magazine's Web site.
The 33-year-old actor said he was motivated to disclose his sexuality because of recent "speculation and interest in my private life and relationships."
Harris stars on the CBS comedy "How I Met Your Mother." He started on TV as a teen, playing the namesake doctor on the series "Doogie Howser, M.D."


Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.



You are all wondering why I am posting this article right?

As a disclaimer, I have NO issue with gay people, in fact I am one of those heathens that thinks gay people should be able to marry...but, this news devastates me. Really it saddens the 12 year old in me that had a HUGE crush on "Doogie Howser". In my fantasy world, I was going to some home meet him and steal him away from Lisa Dean Ryan (aka Wanda on the show) and he would be mine forever. I was just as crushed when I found out Ricky Schroder (excuse me Rick Schroder) was happily married with a gaggle of kids.

I was so excited to see Neil Patrick Harris back on prime time when "How I Met Your Mother" pushed its way into the spotlight. I was even more excited to find that AFN (Armed Forces Network the TV we have here) carried "How I Met You Mother". If you have not seen this show, give it a try. It is extremely funny, even more so now knowing that Doogie is gay, since his character Barney is such a womanizer (and makes no apologies for it). It just proves to me once again what a good actor he is. Honestly it is nice to see him back on TV and showing the world he did not succumb to the normal childhood actor problems. I am happy to know that all three of my major childhood TV crushes have all gone on to do well for themselves, and if they have had any major drama (ie drugs, prostitutes etc) they have kept it pretty much in the dark.

Oh, my 3rd crush? Who else....Zack Morris! Honestly though, Mark Paul Gosselar is way hotter now that he lost that BAD 80's Vanilla Ice blonde hair due.

I guess I am just stuck with Alan, oh no wait, there is always Zach... he isn't married yet is he?

Ok people, spill it. Who was your childhood fantasy crush?

 
posted by Weinraub Family | Permalink |


8 Comments:


  • At 11:48 AM, Blogger Amy

    I know what you mean. It's sad--another step towards losing all of our childhood dreams and illusions!

    OK, I'm trying to remember whose pictures I saved from Teen Beat. Ralph Machio, New Kids on the Block, Michael J Fox, Fred Savage. . .I could go on with a little more thought but I think you get the point.

     
  • At 12:21 PM, Blogger Mike, Nicki, and Josh

    Honestly, Brad Pitt all the way baby. Not any more though....GROSS. OK, seriously though now it's Colin Farrell. I suppose it's just the Irish in me. Gotta go for the Irish Bad Boy. I suppose I have to say Orlando Bloom & Mathew McConaughey too. Oh there is just so much eye candy do I have to pick just one? :)

     
  • At 1:16 PM, Blogger parent21

    What!!?! No Pluto and now this! LOL, my childhood was a big fat LIE!
    Seriously, my gaydar must have been broken on this one. Good for him though on coming out...I can't imagine living a *lie* every day. Ok, so he's gay...and pretty darn funny (on HIMYM) too!

     
  • At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Aime

    Wow- never would have guessed! Especially after watching 'Harold and Krumar Go To White Castle' ( I know, I know, I was 1 of the 10 people who actually watched that horrible movie- lol), where he plays himself and goes on a wild hooker fest! LOL

    Hmm, childhood crush...I would have to agree with you on "Zack Morris" from Saved By The Bell, oh, and shame of all shames, I bought into "Corey-Mania" and a huge crush on Corey Haim. Also, Johnny Depp from 21 Jump Street...come to think of it, he's still pretty cute- neh?

     
  • At 7:50 AM, Blogger Gingers Mom

    Had to say I probably had a crush on all 3 as well.
    And I am with Nicki...Matthew Mcconughey...yes!
    I have to say I'm not THAT surprised. Not sure why.

     
  • At 5:21 PM, Blogger emzeegee & the hungry three

    ROFLMAO - all the ones you list and then some. Seriously, it *pains* me to think that Doogie is gay. Ack! Sadly, though, my best friend wasn't into Doogie, she liked VINNIE. I don't know what that girl was thinking.

    Ahhh, a childhood of the 80's.... I even had a poster on my wall of Michael Jackson before he looked like a freak. :)

     
  • At 9:13 AM, Blogger Steffers

    I have to agree that Mark Paul Gossler was the man...although I did (and still do to this day) have a huge crush on Michael J. Fox!! Can you blame me?

     
  • At 3:30 PM, Blogger Weinraub Family

    OMG, I can't believe I left out Michael J Fox. He is the whole reason I wanted to name my sone Alexander Michael. I have to say it broke my heart to find out he was sick, but made me love him even more how he is fighting every step of the way. GRRRR to Rush Limbutt for picking on my man!!

    Yeah, I had the Corey Haim poster up in my room from License to Drive, it was replaced by a Joey McIntire (from NKOTB) poster that my BROTHER bought me one year for x-mas. How I would have LOVED to been there when he bought that...I am sure some girls gave him looks.